Skip Navigation

Post Adoption

KAS Supports Adoptees And Their Familiesfor Their Rights And Interests to be protected

Required documents

  • (1) Valid Passport with legible copy.※ The passport must be valid for over 3 months.

  • (2) Two current photos (less than 6 months old), 3.5 x 4.5 cm (1.4 x 1.8 in)
    • - Need to be same photo.
    • - Photo booths are available in various places throughout Seoul including most subway stations and at the immigration office.

  • (3) Adoption certificate“ibyangin sashil hwaginseo” (입양인사실확인서) and copy of Korean family registration from that time“hojeok” (호적)if possible. ※ must provide the adoption certificate for immigration (less than 3 months) and copy of Korean family registration from that time(it make the searches easier. You can get the original document from your actual town hall) (Part, 4.) . These documents must be requested in your adoption agency.
    adoption agency list
    Organization e-mail Tel.
    Eastern Social Welfare Society +82-2-3142-3821
    Holt Childeren’s Services Inc. +82-2-331-7015
    Korea Social Service +82-2-908-9191
    Social Welfare Society +82-2-567-8891
    • - You can either going through your adoption agency or through our services if you are facing any difficulties.
    • - You’ll have to go with your passport Otherwise you need to send a copy of your passport, your Korean name, adoption date (if you know it), the full name of your adoptive father and your country of adoption.

  • (4) Korean family registration “kajok kwangae jungmyeongseo” (가족관계증명서) and “kibon jungmyeongseo” or jaejeokdungbon“ (기본증명서 or 제적등본)
    • · You can get them in your actual district town hall (구청) or near the immigration office (usually).
      ※ the copy is 1000 won.
    • · You must provide your passport with your adoption certificate and the Korean family registration from that time, given by your adoption agency.
      ※ you’ll get them back after they made a copy
    • · Usually the cancellation date of the Korean citizenship should be displayed. If not see (*)

  • (5) Citizenship/nationality certificate
    • · It is the only document you must bring from your country of adoption (usually the full birth certificate)
    • · It must be translated in Korean or in English (translation can be done by anyone, but the translator must fill and sign a form. ※ attached form ※ note, the translator shouldn’t be paid
    • · Translation of this document can be made by our services

  • (6)거주지 확인서 필요

  • (7) cost would be 130,000 won from the immigration office
    • · 100,000 won is to buy 1 or more, tax stamps (it look like a diploma size sometime) and 30,000 won for an automatic counter beside the tax stamp counter※ the place can be different depending the immigration office.
    • · The ticket from the counter must be provided to the person in charge of your file.
    • · In case you have already did the F4 visa before your departure you’ll to pay only 30,000 won, the cost of the ID card (Alien Registration Card).

  • (8) For renewal. You just need your f4 visa card. A form to fill and 50 thousands won in cash. The procedure will be immediate. If you don't have any place behind your visa card. It will be necessary to redo the card. in that case the procedure will take 3 weeks. there will be an additional charge of 30 thousands won, for the card itself. And a photo will be requested

  • (9) In case of lost or stealing your visa card you don't have to make a statement to the police. You just need to make an appointment with the immigration office and go with your passport, 1 photo and 30 thousands won in cash. You just need to fill a form (“Geoso shingoseo”, 거소 신고서)to get your visa f4. The process time to get the visa is about 3 weeks
    • - If your Korean citizenship has not been canceled on your certificate, the adoption agency will notify you and they will explain you how and what documents to send. Normally it is only necessary to provide them with the document of the plenary adoption

  • If you wish to go through our services:
    • A: Scan your passport and certificate of naturalization or citizenship and send us both documents to this email address
      You will have to give us the original documents when you arrive in Korea for immigration.

    • B: Once KAS or you get your adoption certificate and the former Korean Family Register of the adoption agency, KAS will notify you by e-mail to an appointment with a KAS worker or a KAS volunteer to accompany you to the immigration office. KAS can make the appointment for you at the immigration office.

    • C: On the day of your appointment, please bring your passport, citizenship / naturalization certificate, application fee of 130,000 won and 2 photos at KAS or designated meeting point.

    • D: After about 4 weeks, you must pick up your F-4 card at the same place of registration at the immigration office on the date they will give you. Or else you can also have it delivered to the address you entered for an additional 3000 won to pay at the time of purchase of the "tax stamp".

  • Important:
    • · The processing time for the F-4 visa is about 4 weeks. If you leave the country during this period, your application will be canceled.

    • · Make sure to check with the immigration office when and where you need to go for your F-4 card. For an additional fee, it can be delivered to an address of your choice but it is absolutely necessary someone present to sign the receipt of the courier※ they can’t let this in your mail box

    • · Since 4 April 2016, you must book your immigration visit online at before the visit. Please contact KAS if you need help with an appointment to immigration. We can also take the appointment for you.

List of immigration offices according to where you live.

Seodaemun-gu, Mapo-gu, Gangseo-gu, Yangcheon-gu, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Guro-gu, Geumcheon-gu, Kwangmyeong-si

Dobong-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Nowon-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Jongro-gu, Jung-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu

Yongsan-gu, Seongdong-gu, Gwangjin-gu, Dongjak-gu, Gwannak-gu, Seocho-gu, Gangnam-gu, Songpa-gu, Gangdong-gu, Anyang-si, Gwacheon-si, Seongnam-si, Hanam-si

Gunpo-si, Uiwang-si, Suwon-si, Hwaseong-si, Yongin-si, Gwangju-si, Icheon-si, Yeoju-si, Yangpyeong-gun

Osan-si, Pteongtaek-si, Anseong-si

Paju-si, Goyang-si

Yeoncheon-gun, Pocheon-si, Dongducheon-si, Yangju-si, Uijeongbu-si, Namyangju-si, Guri-si

Siheung-si, Ansan-si

Inchon-si, Bucheon-si, Ganghwa-gun, Gimpo-si, Jung-gu, Ongjin-gun

  • - If you currently have a visa and are switching to an F-4 visa, you may be asked to present a copy of your current rental agreement. If you don't have a rental agreement and living with a friend or family member, they will be required to write a letter of guarantee (stating that you are living there etc - please contact KAS for further information).

  • - As of a April 4, 2016, you are required to book your immigration visit online at prior to visit.Please contact KAS if you need assistance with scheduling an appointment at immigration.